Sunday 19 November 2017

Screw It Let’s Do It by Sir Richard Branson





Screw It Let’s Do It is a book that encompasses all of Richard Branson’s life, goals, and belief system. The book has nine chapters with each focusing on unique topics.
I was awestruck throughout my time reading the book. In the seventh chapter, Branson made emphasis on his best friend, Nik who he had to sack from his company when Nik wanted Branson out of the editor post at Student Magazine. Branson called making this sort of decision as being “head on” with the situation. Branson noted, “You can be best friends with someone and still not agree with them and, if you are close, you can get through it and remain friends.” He called Nik back to run the magazine when things were tough, and together they succeeded.
Some other quotes from the book which I love are: “I believe in myself. I believe in the hands that work, in the brains that think, and in the hearts that love” and “Balloons have taught me to reflect more. On earth, my life is fast and hectic, each moment full. It can be too busy. We all need our own space and it’s good to pause and do nothing.”
Sir Richard Branson also revealed his illegal business habit of tricking the customs so his music business could be tax-free. It was a decision he later regretted as he had to pay a fine that was three times bigger than the profits he made. He concluded by saying, “Never do anything if it means you can’t sleep at night.”
One quote that relates to me and with many others I know is, “Always living in the future can slow us down as much as always looking behind.” I will take this one with me. Most times we are fond of thinking too much into the future when the present is really all that matters. Have goals, but live the present.

A fantastic read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Top African Tech Hubs Building the Next Generation of Global Businesses in 2021

  In the last ten years, Africa has experienced unprecedented growth in its digital technology sector. The tech ecosystem is a fast-paced, ...