Thursday 10 January 2019

Book Review: The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell



I do not hope to read Malcolm Gladwell's book anymore. This may be a bad statement to make in public, but I mean it.

Although enlightening, this book was largely boring. The title is so catchy that I kept reading the book because I thought I could still learn some stuff. The chapters are equally eye-fascinating.

This is barely a 300 page book. Gladwell spent about 50 pages talking about Sesame Street -- a kiddies TV show -- that has little to do with his audience.

Since I do not intend to write only the good stuff about books I read, the above is crucial. However, I also love to talk about the good stuff in the books I read.

One of the reasons why I think the book doesn't live up to my expectation is because I saw it as a business book. The book intended to tell why and how some things become sticky or viral and others don't.

In the business realm, this book is mediocre. But for generalists, for the sake of understanding things from many perspectives, Gladwell's research and the manner he documented his findings are top quality.

I think it is similar to The Outliers in many ways. In fact, it is possible for you to think you are still reading the Outliers. This is because the books have some common grounds.

It's been months since I finished the book. I can still remember some things, just not many. Divided into eight chapters (conclusion inclusive), one great lesson I can take from this book is that people are dynamic. We often change our beliefs, and our actions many times do not correlate with our words.

The Tipping Point isn't a book I'll recommend for business folks.

If you are looking for a book that exposes your mind to interesting things around the world, history, life in different parts of the world, how commercial ads form, and a beautiful mind travel, perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Top African Tech Hubs Building the Next Generation of Global Businesses in 2021

  In the last ten years, Africa has experienced unprecedented growth in its digital technology sector. The tech ecosystem is a fast-paced, ...