Thursday 6 June 2019

Further Investment: How I Made $3,671 in Five Days [Unliterally]


All the fun would be lost if I update you with daily transactions. In the meantime, I’ll blog about the stocks I’m invested in as frequent as I can. You probably waited for what happened the following Monday, I’m compounding everything in this single post.
In case you missed it, I am enjoying my time playing an investment simulation game on the Investopedia platform. I started with $100,000 on May 31, 2019 and the base cash had increased to $103,671.08 when I would check on Wednesday Morning June 5, 2019 before the markets opened.
Here’s a blog detailing how it all started.
First things first, this is not real money. It’s a game.
In the first post, I remember asserting how volatile Facebook stocks are, particularly when there’s a mention of data breach, internet security, privacy concerns, monopoly accusations/sanctions, et cetera. Well, it turned out I was right. I was watching CNBC on Monday evening when I saw that Google and Facebook had become the (usual) victims of monopoly accusations. The following day (Tuesday), I felt a little bad and a little sapient. Why? Facebook stocks had plummeted to around $161 from $185 before trading on Friday!
I felt a little sapient because I had shorted by short selling at $180 and buying at $164 which is a good profit. I felt bad because I would have gained more dollars if I was just a little patient. But then, the profit outweighs the extra margin that could have been. I do not hope to be a bear, but it’s good to make winning bets such as this.
Now, Facebook had made me $1,600. I had seven investments in my portfolio. Six left. Next!
I probably made a rush buying 100 shares of Microsoft at around $125. The price hasn’t reached that level since Friday. Although on Wednesday, I saw it around $124+ and I believe it would eventually break the $1tr cap permanently, I still somewhat made an expensive buy. So, I’m still losing money on that one.
General Electric is also looking good. I have to say it is one of the unstable stocks in my portfolio. You just never know the direction. But, I’m in this with you, GE.
During trading hours, Berkshire Hathaway shares were also up on Wednesday. My belief that Baker Hughes is a growth company was also confirmed as the stock value was up too.
I am still invested in Tesla Motors. The stock value was also up on Wednesday, but nothing great has happened. It is still trading around the purchase price of $185. I hope nothing deters it from gaining momentum. Tesla trading below $30b might be catastrophic for the real life investors (LOL).
After failing to buy 1,000 shares of Opera, I tried again. Investors were holding on to it and I didn’t quite trigger some tricks too. How did it work this time? Everything changed. I told the broker to keep an eye until all 1,000 are secured. Monday morning, I was glad the price had even descended from $11+ to $10+. I bought 1,000 units at such a good price, and by Wednesday it was up again.

PS (Thursday Edit):
All stocks except OPRA were up Thursday. GO!!!

Final Words
I will look into doing some stock business with Amazon. In my eyes, Amazon alongside Microsoft is the only large corporation that is truly innovating on every side. It is hard to see any phenomenal growth coming from Amazon, but growth is certain!
The gods answered Uber’s prayers. The stocks reached and surpassed IPO price on Wednesday, but I’m definitely not buying.
Value investors like Warren Buffett have noted that you don’t check the stocks every minute. Just make a decision and sit back. I’ll be doing just that in the subsequent days with occasional updates.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Top African Tech Hubs Building the Next Generation of Global Businesses in 2021

  In the last ten years, Africa has experienced unprecedented growth in its digital technology sector. The tech ecosystem is a fast-paced, ...